The Divitia-Deutz fort is the nucleus of right-bank Cologne and has a history dating back 1700 years. Little remains of the fort today, which was built between AD 310 and 315. Apart from the northwest tower, the co-called Schinkenkessel (ham cauldron), the western part of the fort was demolished in the 19th century when the river bank was adjusted. The Schinkenkessel has been linked with the new stairs that now descend to the river (Rhineboulevard). The northeastern outer walls of the fort have been preserved in the vaulted cellars of the Baroque monastery Old St Heribert. The east gate of the fort was investigated in the 1920s/30s and has been left in its original position. The side walls of the semi-circular towers have been rebuilt.