EVIDENCE OF ROMAN FARMSTEADS
The Roman city was surrounded by a network of Roman farmsteads (Villae rusticae). Today, only very few traces of these have survived. In 1974, a Roman well was discovered at the Europa-School on the Raderthalgürtel in Cologne-Zollstock: it can now be seen in the foyer of the school. It is possible that a 4th century stone sarcophagus, now standing in the Südfriedhof (south cemetrey) in Zollstock, may have come from this villa.
A stone chamber grave in the outer green belt was excavated in 1928. It can now be visited at the place where it was found, near the Kalscheurer-Weiher, an artificial stretch of water in Zollstock. A reminder of the Roman villa at Cologne-Müngersdorf, which was almost completely excavated in 1926, is a sarcophagus standing in the north-east corner of the Jahnwiese playing fields.